Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tree Project at the Horticultural Society of New York


I am taking part in the Tree Project, a project by Hiroshi Sunairi at the Horticultural Society of New York. As soon as I heard about this project, I was very intrigued and hoped that I would be able to participate! Here is the basic premise, from the Tree Project blog:

Over sixty years ago, the city of Hiroshima was burnt to ashes by one nuclear bomb and people thought that nothing would grow for 75 years. However, sprouts sprung up from the remains of burnt trees and weeds came out of the ground. The trees that still live from the time of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima are called, Hibaku trees (A-bombed trees). This new life gave encouragement to the people who had lost hope.

Since 2006, Riki Horiguchi, a tree doctor in Hiroshima, has provided me with seedlings and seeds of Round Leaf Holly, Persimmon, Chinaberry, Chinese Parasol, Japanese Hackberry, and Jujube. These seeds are the second or third generation of Hibaku Trees. By sharing these seeds with people in the US and elsewhere around the world, I would like to share the pleasure of growing plants, especially the plants from Hibaku seeds. I welcome all participants to learn, nurture, and enjoy the process.
I sent an email a couple of weeks ago and requested some seeds from the website. I didn't know if I would have any luck since the project launched back in January, but sure enough, there were still some Chinaberry seeds available! Just a few days ago, my Chinaberry seeds arrived in the mail and I planted them, as instructed, in an unglazed ceramic pot. I put the little pot in a window that gets a lot of sunlight and will be watering it often.

Hopefully the seeds will sprout and I will have my own little Chinaberry plant from seeds that are descendants of Hibaku trees! The blog and Flickr page are fantastic as people from all over the world are sending in photos of their Hibaku seeds that have sprouted into little plants. These images (and actual plants themselves, if you are able to get to New York City in December 2009) will be used in an exhibition in the HSNY Gallery. I hope that my plant grows so I am able to send in my photo to be a part of this wonderful project and exhibition! Once the plant starts to grow, I will be sending my photos to Tree Project as well as posting them on this blog!

A big thank you to Hiroshi Sunairi for allowing me to participate in the project by mailing me the seeds! If this interests any of my blog readers, you should check out the Tree Project blog and send an email to possibly get your own seeds by mail and be a part of the project!

I will leave you with a quote from the blog by the tree doctor in Hiroshima who has provided the seeds and seedlings for the project:
"Nature tells us with no ideological standpoint about war, atomic bombs, peace, nature, and the environment."
- Dr. Riki Horiguchi

1 comment:

glitterstar said...

That is pretty neat. Good luck!