Thursday, May 26, 2011

Vegetable Garden...Planted!


The vegetable seedlings are fully planted and now they can grow into glorious plants with loads of fresh veggies waiting to be picked, right from my own backyard!  I only have a small space in the backyard where I can plant veggies directly into the ground, so I decided to plant the tomatoes there and do the rest in containers.  As you can see here, I have all of my peppers and herbs up on the deck.  I decided to buy some raised shelving units just so I didn't have pots sitting directly on the deck.  I found this shelf in the garage/automotive section of Walmart for a very low price of $29 - it is designed to be one 5-shelf unit, but I broke it down into a couple of shelves to allow the plants to get more sun.


Here are the tomatoes.  It is a bit tricky to see from the picture as there are tons of pink petals all over the ground.  Our neighbor has a beautiful large cherry tree in their backyard that is blossoming, and the tree shades part of our backyard.  We have tons of pink blossoms all over our backyard and it looks so pretty!  Hopefully the tomato plants don't mind!


Here is a closer-up view of the peppers, plus a snow pea plant that already has a very tiny cute snow pea growing on it.



Two balcony container planters full of herbs - you can read about them in detail if you'd like on my Richter's Herbs blog post from last week.  You can also read more about the veggie plants that I bought from Urban Harvest in this blog post.

This is my first time growing veggies in the new house and I have had great successes in the past, so hopefully this year is as good as ever!  Let me tell you, I haven't had to water the plants much as it has been raining here non-stop these past few days. 

We like to feed the birds in our backyard, but occasionally, we will have other outdoor wildlife visit as well.  Here is a picture that I took of a chubby bunny, munching happily on dandelion leaves.  My apologies that it is a bit far away, I took the photo from inside the house as I didn't want to scare him away!  If you click on the image, you can get a larger view.

No comments: