Saturday, May 26, 2012

Knit a Squillion - Knitting for Charity

My Knitted Squares!

I just found out about this project last week and I'm a little late, but better late than never! The Knit a Square project involves knitters and crocheters from all over the world making 8x8" squares and mailing them to South Africa. The squares are assembled into blankets that are donated to African children that live in great poverty. Many of the children are AIDS orphans or have been abandoned completely. The Knit-a-Square project has been ongoing since 2008 and so many crafters from all over the world have created squares for blankets, hats, and even entire sweaters for the children. The current challenge is called Knit-a-Squillion. For one year, up to July 2012, the goal is to send 1.2 million squares to South Africa to be made into warm and cozy blankets.

I know that July is only a month away, but these squares do not take long to knit or crochet. The idea is to use any scrap bits of yarn that you have left over from other projects (or you can use new wool, whatever you'd like!) to make squares. These squares can have any pattern or style to them, and can be made from any blend of wool or acrylic yarn, as long as they are approximately 8x8". Every square is made into a blanket that will keep a child warm, or provide a blanket to sleep on instead of a tough concrete floor.

Children in South Africa with their blankets from Knit-a-Square

I found out about this charitable knitting project via Laurie's posts at the Kitty's Fiber Journey blog. She is collecting squares from all of her readers and will be sending them to South Africa in larger bundles. She is looking to collect 500 squares by June 2012 and I am knitting away as quickly as I can so I can mail some out to her! I'm not sure that they will arrive by June 1st, but the project is ongoing so no worries. Laurie is going a fantastic job raising awareness about the Knit-a-Squillion project through her blog and I'm very happy that I found out about it! I've always wanted to contribute some knitting to charity and my knitting will be put to very good use. It warms my heart knowing that some of my crafting can brighten a child's day in such unfortunate circumstances.

If you're interested in helping out with this project, please check out the links above or you can find knitting instructions and crochet instructions on the official website. You can find all of the postal instructions at the official website, or you can mail your squares locally to Laurie at Kitty's Fiber Journey if you're a Canadian like me.

1 comment:

AsSnugAsABug said...

Hello from a fellow KASer! Love you post, I've blogged a lot about KAS too :)